Tuesday, June 14, 2005

TJ's Taste Test, Part 5 of Many: Punjab Spinach Simmer Sauce



OK, so this isn't really a taste test. I've actually had this before. But I had it for dinner tonight, and I like it alot so I thought I'd share.

As with all of
Trader Joe's simmer sauces, the Punjab Spinach Sauce is the most convenient thing in the world to use when you've just worked an 11 hour day and you have no time to put a roast in the oven. And it's delicious! It's a tangy, tomato based sauce full of chopped spinach and onions and flavored well with cumin, curry and ginger. Tonight, I decided to go vegetarian and simmer my simmer sauce with some cubed firm tofu.

All you have to do is put your meat/tofu in the pan, dump the jar o' sauce in the pan, cover, and let it *what else* simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the meat/tofu is cooked through and some of the flavor from the sauce has seeped in. The instructions say to dilute the sauce with 1 cup of water, but I've always left it alone--it gives it more flavor and makes for a chunkier sauce that way.

Trader Joe's was out of their Tandoori Garlic Naan on my last trip, so I served up my Punjab Spinach Tofu with some steamed basmati rice--a simple but tasty meal (and enough for leftovers...yum!). Oh, my only other tip is that is does need a dash ot two of salt. So try it, you'll like it. I hope.

No comments: