Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What I Have To Say About $40 A Day

If you've been keeping up with my posts, you'll know that we recently went on a little excursion to Napa and Sonoma Valleys. And, if you've been keeping up with the Food Network, you'll also know that Rachel Ray recently did one of her $40 A Day shows up there. Now I have two things to say about that:

1) We did not, and I repeat, DID NOT get our ideas from Rachel. Coincidentally, a couple of the places we went to like V. Sattui Winery and Della Santina's Trattoria were featured on the show. I have known about those places for years. I had to make this clear because I didn't want you to think that I think Miss EVOO is the shit or anything. I know, that's sooo high school, but I personally think she's really annoying.

2) I've always thought the show's idea of $40 was a little whack. Now I'm convinced. Dinner for Rachel came out to a total of only $11.95. Sure, she ordered the gnocchi whose menu price is $11.95, but she neglected to factor in tax and tip. And, she brought in her own bottle of wine which she said she did to save money, but in reality, Della Santina's charges a $12 corkage fee. Um, I don't know about you, but if I were to do the same, order the gnocchi and bring in my own wine, and give them only $11.95, I'd be stuck there washing dishes. Maybe they should call the show "$40 A Day But Only If You're A Food Network Celebrity Who Calls Extra Virgin Olive Oil EVOO."

Or "$58 A Day Give Or Take A Few Dollars"

Or "$40 A Day Back In 1974"

You get the picture.

No comments: