Friday, April 08, 2005

There's No Place Like Home

It's hard to be part of a couple and maintain old friendships at the same time. Isaac and I have alot of our own friends who are eternally single and who like live the single life. Make plans at the last minute. Change plans at the last minute. Spend lots of money on entertainment. Head out late and then stay out late. Because they CAN. And there's nothing wrong with that...for them.

So today's one of those days that his old and *ahem* single buddies phoned him up and asked him if he wanted to go out at night. What, am I actually going to let him go??? Well, of course I am. Freedom and trust are so so so essential to a healthy relationship; they're two elements that certainly make ours so much stronger. But that's not to say that I'm not just a little bit annoyed by the fact that these were last minute Friday night plans. 'Cause now, what the hell am I gonna do, especially about dinner?

Furthermore, it's all of a sudden really cold out here in LA and the streets seem more empty than usual. It's very eerie and I can't put my finger on it. So I came home from work with a feeling of uncertainty, like all of a sudden I've been sucked into some strange bizarro world, not knowing what would be in store for me this Friday night. I mean, I'm not even that hungry!

I told my dear boyfriend how I felt, and to comfort me, he suggested that he take me to go get something to eat before he headed out with the boys for drinks. Oh wherever shall we go? Couldn't think of any better place but our usual...Suehiro Cafe in Little Tokyo. A place that's become sort of a staple in our diets, Suehiro is a mom-and-pop-type Japanese greasy spoon that also stocks a collection of Japanese pop-culture and Manga mags for you to read as you enjoy your meal. As I mentioned earlier, the air around me was cold and uncertain, so the safeness and familiarity of Suehiro coupled with a bowl of their Nabeyaki Udon would help warm and soothe my spirits. Udon noodles, shrimp tempura, egg, spinach, fish cake and bamboo shoots, all bathed together in a hot, salty broth, a perfect combination of flavors and textures...Mmm Mmm Good.



Isaac got his usual Shrimp Tempura Roll (pictured below) and Toro Shiso Maki Roll (not pictured). Not the best quality sushi by our standards, but satisfies a sushi roll craving nevertheless. Suehiro's menu also abounds with other noodle dishes like soba and ramen, bento combinations, donburi, sukiyaki, and their own specialties such as Beef & Eggplant in Miso Sauce.



To drink, hot tea and ice water, although Isaac almost ordered a glass of milk to go with his food. (???) Like 7-up and other carbonated drinks, it acts like an antacid, he says. I convinced him not to because 1) that's fucking nasty, esp. with Japanese food, and 2) it's not likely that a Japanese place would turnover alot of milk, right? Whatever. Made me laugh though.

Isaac's now out hamming it up with his bachelor friends, and I'm spending a quiet evening at home, writing this post and snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug.

Suehiro Cafe
337 E. 1st St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 626-9132

No comments: