Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hangovers, Broccoli, and Gnomes--Oh My!



George the Gastro-gnome had a bit too much to drink last night. He went out with the guys and didn't get home until 5:15 am this morning.

Which is why he doesn't have much energy to fulfill his sous-chef duties today. In turn, I decided to keep things simple. I found a broccoli salad mix by Eat Smart at Costco that I thought would go well with some sandwiches.

"George, can you get up for a second so I can show the nice people what the box looks like?"

Hesitantly, George rolled his stumpy little self off the box and staggered off to the side.



"You think you can manage making the broccoli salad while I make the sandwiches? All you have to do is mix everything together," I asked him.

He was on his back, eyes closed, mouth agape. Suddenly he turned his little head, stared at me and said, "Fuck you."

Allrighty then. I guess I'm making lunch by myself.

I guess I should have left poor George alone. All I had to do was mix some broccoli florets, shredded broccoli stalks, carrots and red cabbage, sunflower kernels, bacon bits, dried cranberries. and some sick looking mayonnaise based dressing together and it was done. It was something that was simple enough to put together myself, but everything came in a nice little box for $5.99, and it was perfect for a day like today where convenience was key. The dish was reminiscent of a cole slaw but more texturally interesting because of the broccoli florets, nuts, and cranberries, and also had a nice smoky tinge from the addition of bacon bits.



"George, do you want some?"

No answer.

"George??"

He'd disappeared from the kitchen and into the bathroom where the horrors of last night's festivities were coming back to haunt him. I guess I'll have to save a plate for him. Poor guy.

6 comments:

Ron Oda said...

george has freaky attitude...

he must be a type AB Bloodtype.. LOL...

e d b m said...

yay the gnome is back haha. he's been on a long vacation.

Anonymous said...

I think a broccoli salad would make me sick if I was hungover too. Looks easy enough otherwise. Probably make my own dressing though.

elmomonster said...

In George's defense, one shot glass of alcohol to a gnome is like a gallon to a regular human. On the same note, there shouldn't be too much vomit to clean up!

Daily Gluttony said...

DCCF,

Usually George is a sweetheart. This only happens once in a blue moon. He doesn't egt out much, you see.

EDNBM,

No he's been around; just media shy!

Survival Gourmet,

Ha ha! You're right! But there was enough bread on my sammiches to healp soak up all the inebrients. Maybe I should have taken the poor guy to get menudo?

Elmo,

LOL! I didn't see the shotglasses...maybe they were "gnome-sized?"

Passionate Eater said...

George the Gnome better "gno" his place, and treat the lady of Daily Gluttony with respect! If he gets outta line, we'll sic Isaac on him, so that Isaac can "do him in" just like how he did Jim!