Wednesday, January 25, 2006

TJ's Taste Test, Part (I Don't Remember) Of Many: Thai Joe's Prig Khing Green Beans

Everyone, I'd like you to meet the newest addition to our family, George the Gastro-gnome. Ever since Isaac murdered the last gnome Jim, nothing's been the same, but we look forward to spending quality time with George for many years to come, especially because George is cast from iron and won't break as easily.



George spent some time in Thailand last year and has quite a liking for Thai food, so the other day, he asked me to pick up some frozen Prig Khing Green Beans from
Trader Joes.

Sorry, George is a little shy.



George is great sous-chef; I walked away from the kitchen for a minute and he watched the pan of sizzling frozen green beans the whole time to make sure they didn't burn. After about 3 minutes, we added the packets of Thai chili sauce and let it cook for a couple more minutes.



"Oooh, oooh, let me try!" said George. I couldn't resist his adorable little face, so I gave him a sneak preview of the chili laced beans.



"Hmm. The beans lack that crunch that only fresh beans have, but other than that, they're tasty. The sauce is spicy with a hint of tamarind and has a nice funky saltiness from the addition of dried shrimp," George declared.



The rest of the beans were eaten with some hot jasmine rice, and yes, they were quite good for something frozen. You know what they say: Always trust a gastro-gnome!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam - Ha! A travelocity meets cast-iron chef post. I'd just like to extend a welcome to George the most Gluttinous Gnome! LOL! What's next? George makes Spam Musubi....

e d b m said...

PAMelie! i loved the french version, but never knew that our hometown of Hong Kong would ever produce their own version of that smash hit haha. I'm kinda scared about yours and isaac's relationship with inanimate figures haha. Creepy.... spooky.... haha. jk. I heart pam, she's great.

Anonymous said...

pam, you're the greatest... and George isn't bad either.

BoLA said...

hahaha....Pam....YOU ARE THE GREATEST! EVER! ;) Love George. (which by coincidence is the same name as my most treasured stuffed animal! teehee!) I do wanna see George make some O-Nigiris filled with sPam!

Anonymous said...

those trader joes beans are really good with the soba noodles also sold at trader joes. a real hit in our house.

Daily Gluttony said...

Kirk,

Ooooh George Makes spam musubi!!! Thanks for the idea!!!

Dylan,

Ha ha, actually, one of my Canto uncles calls me "Pamelie" b/c he can't pronounce Pamela for some reason. But its more like "Pamerie." LOL!

Anonymous,

Aww thanks! =)

Kristy,

Yes, thanks to you and Kirk, you'll prolly see a George Makes Spam Musubi post one day!

Anonymous,

Thanks, I'll have to try that!

Anonymous said...

Girl, you crack me up! You're gonna have take good 'ole George with you to restaurants so that he can be in ALL of the photos that you post from now on!

elmomonster said...

Gnomes are inherently funny, just as your blog is as well.

Thanks for a good laugh!