Tuesday, May 15, 2007

DG's Basement Tapes: Restaurant Koshiji, Little Tokyo

(This post is the first in a series of gawd-knows-how-many unfinished posts I have hidden deep in the depths of my post library. Had I been more on top of it, this post should have been published in December.)

There are Los Angeles foodbloggers.

And there are San Diego foodbloggers.

And there would certainly come a time for the two to meet. So when Kirk, our beloved foodblogger from San Diego, emailed me to tell me he'd be in town, I arranged a mini get-together of local bloggers for the two groups so co-mingle. But somewhere in that fucked-up, obsessed-with-Bizarro-mind of mine, I couldn't help but think of the "Bizarro Jerry" episode of Seinfeld where Jerry, George and Kramer finally come face to face with Elaine's new friends who bore an uncanny resemblance to her OG chums. What if, despite so many similarities most of which revolve around our common passion for food, we had absolutely nothing to talk about once we met up? I imagined uncomfortable moments of silence, obligatory questions like "So...I hear it's going to rain this weekend" followed by "Uh yeah. Mm-hmm" and twiddling thumbs.

Fortunately, however, our Bizarro meet up was
far from boring. On a Saturday night, some of us Angeleno foodbloggers--Oishii Eats, Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, Best of LA, Rick James/Diet Chili Cheese Fries, and myself--came face-to-face with Kirk and fellow San Diegan food fiend Jack at Little Tokyo's Restaurant Koshiji. I don't think there was one odd moment of silence as we all had so much to talk about; this was the first time meeting and/or hanging out with Kirk for some of us but it felt as though all of us had known each other for years. I'm really glad to have added Kirk--such a funny, kind and caring person--to my growing circle of food-loving friends.

Unlike its loud & trafficky Bizarro twin Kokekokko down the street, Koshiji is more of a low-key yakitori joint. Service can be extremely slow which could swing the pendulum on meetups like ours either way: either it could make things even more uncomfortable if say, the foodbloggers from the other side of town
really are like Bizarro Jerry, or in our case, it gave us more time to chat over the good chow we've had in recent weeks and drool over Kirk's recent experience atUrusawa.

Small cups of raw vegetables with a small dish of miso-based dipping sauce seem to be included with each person's place setting; a much welcomed snack while we waited for our server to take our order and bring us our food, but unfortunately not quite enough for people like ourselves who were starving.

Cup O' Veg
Finally, our food started to arrive. Although we all ordered separately, our food came out very much un-separately, so it took some investigating to remember who ordered what and in what quantities. Luckily, one of the things Isaac and I ordered was Koshiji's chicken yakitori course, so those skewers had been separated from the rest of the pack.

The chicken-on-a-stick course was on the whole, unimpressive. The plain ol' poultry meat skewers--negima (chicken w/ green onion), tsukune (chicken meat ball), sasami (chicken breast with shiso leaf), kamo (duck breast w/ miso sauce) and tebakara (chicken wings)--though not bad, didn't have that just-came-off-the-grill caramelized and smoky wow-factor that I was looking for. My favorite part of a yakitori meal, however, comes not so much from the chicken-meats-on-a-stick but rather from the chicken-parts-on-a-stick. While the liver skewer was just plain gross, the crunchy-textured sunagimo, or chicken gizzard, skewer was pretty damn good as were the cute little quail-eggs-on-a-stick, better known as uzura.

Just So-So Chicken-Parts-On-A-Stick
Our yakitori chicken course came with a bowl of soboro-don, a hearty bowl of seasoned ground chicken with egg over rice, and a small cup of broth with...cilantro???? Koshiji lost major points with me right there--what person in their right mind puts cilantro on Japanese food? The soup was given straight to Isaac. He loved it. Enough said. As for the soboro-don, I thought it was a little on the bland side, not quite as tasty as the one I'd had down the street at Kokekokko.

A Match Made In Hell
Soboro-Don: Not Your Typical Mall Chicken Bowl
Koshiji was able to redeem itself with some of its other menu choices, however. Their chicken karaage, probably the only non-food-on-a-stick item we ordered that night, was crisp on the outside, tender on the inside and had nice hints of soy and ginger. We almost mistook our kaori (pork belly) wrapped around subtley spicy shiso leaf for grilled mushroom caps upon first glance, but fortunately figured out that they were not someone else's grilled funghi dish. Grilled spirals of squid (ika), scored for even more textural interest and wrapped around shiso leaf, were also delicious. Toumorokoshi (sweet corn) were charred in just the right spots. And with our orders of what are probably my two favorite meat-on-a-stick of all time--crispy kawa (chicken skin) and salted-just-right tan (beef tongue)--koshiji certainly did not disappoint.

It doesn't have to come on a stick to be good
Some Mo' Better Skewers
Hey, Don't Touch My Corns
Gotta Love Skin & Tongue
All in all, despite the slow service and a couple of misses on a few of their items, Koshiji is a welcome addition to my Little Tokyo dining list. I liked that it was chill, and the awesome company made it that much more fun. Of course if I were Elaine Benes, I'd be forced to choose sides--hang with my OG LA foodbloggers or my newly found San Diego ones. But this isn't Seinfeld after all, and it's good to know that I can hang with both. In the same room. At the same Bizarro restaurant.

Restaurant Koshiji
123 S. Onizuka St. #203 (in Weller Court)
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 626-4989

20 comments:

KirkK said...

You don't know how nice it is to come across this post...the memories make my week! I can't begin to express what a great group you all were...I can't think of a bunch of nicer, fun-ner(I know that's not a word...but it should be) people. I still crack up when I recall the food arriving, and suddenly everyone had a camera in their hand. People here at work probably think I'm nuts, laughing to myself in my office.......

Oishii Eats said...

Dang...how long ago was that meet up??? All I remember was stuffing my face with cabbage because I was so freegin hungry!!!

elmomonster said...

Us OC Food Bloggers met up with Kirk for the first time shortly after your meet up and man, the things he said about you guys! Tsk! Tsk!

I kid! I kid! He had nothing but good things to say. Kirk is an uber blogger, and an uber nice guy!

Daily Gluttony said...

Kirk,

Yes, funner *should* be a word...it's such a mouthful to say "more fun" =)

Anyways, I hope we can all get together again soon! Hopefully Isaac and I can make it down to SD one of these days, and definitely let us know when you are in LA again!

Jeni,

5 months to be exact! Dang I'm a slacker! Oh I totally remember us chowing down on that cabbage!

Elmo,

Couldn't agree more w/ you--Kirk is da bomb! =)

Chubbypanda said...

You know, the meat does look a little light in color. Needs more char. Mmm... Char...

Passionate Eater said...

Dang, that post is really old! Just kidding, I just said that after reading the other comments. :)

It is inspiring to see how there have been so many blogger meet-ups lately. I remember talking to Dylan when I first met him, and we both were eagerly saying how we wanted to meet our blogging idols: you, Kirk, and Elmo. So far, I am 0 for 3 and I think Dylan has met 50.

Daily Gluttony said...

CP,

yes, char is a very good thing! =)

PE,

i know, alls i know of PE is your pixelated face from some of dylan's posts! you MUST come down here one a' these days when we get together!!!! OR, just email us when you're down here next and we'll hook it up girl!

BoLA said...

Hey DG! It's only 10:20am and I'm craving some of that yakitori right about now! Thanks for writing this one up and for taking me down memory lane. Good times, for sure. But seriously, we were all starvin' marvins when we were finally able to find some parking and sit down! I never knew how good cabbage could be! ;)

Unknown said...

bizarre jerry HA hA HA! you're awesome

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

This post brought back fond memories of my trip with Kirk up to LA. It was a pleasure to meet you, and I am glad to see you have found some time to blog. I really like DG

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love Koshiji. It can be slow, though, and they close kind of early. I just travelled all the way to Fountain Valley to meet a friend at another yakitori joint that reminded me of Koshiji. But faster. LOL

If you're interested, here's my post about it: http://www.sideorderofham.com/index.php?entry=entry070515-092106

Anonymous said...

the herb in the broth is mitsuba, not cilantro. the leaves look like cilantro, but the stalks are longer and the flavor is closer to parsley.

Anonymous said...

Good JoB! :)

weezermonkey said...

I like this place (my July experience is here). I just wish the prices were lower.

Treat Blisters said...

oh man!looks soooo good!and i'm so hungry...*drooling*

Eczema treatment | Yeast infection symptoms | Bleeding hemroids

Unknown said...

I kid! I kid! He had nothing but good things to say. Kirk is an uber blogger, and an uber nice guy!high heel shoes
authentic mobile phone distributor
Swarovski Crystal
tiffany jewelry
supply best swarovski crystal
step up converter
E Cigarette
buy acekard 2i
wholesale blackberry phone
wholesale ed hardy jeans
keychain
laptop ac power adapter
buy acekard 2i

Samantha said...

Your food photos are amazing! I’ve been lurking on your blog for awhile and finally thought I’d say something…. your photography is excellent.

Bourne said...

Your fried food photos are amazing. I'll definitely try this.

loveswedding said...

skillful manufacture beautiful design deft design
ed hardy
cheap ed hardy
ed hardy clothes
ed hardy sale
ed hardy sales
ed hardy on sale
ed hardy on sales
ed hardy discount
ed hardy discounts

J4858C said...

How classics this tape it is, long long time ago, we always love this.